JEFFERSON COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT
ELEVENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT-WEST
6TH DIVISION (JUVENILE DIVISION)
STANDING ORDER REGARDING
DRESS CODE AND OTHER PERTINENT MATTERS
Effective immediately, it is hereby ordered that all persons, whether lawyers, parties, witnesses, observers, or others attending hearings in 6th Division, shall dress appropriately so as to maintain the dignity, integrity, decorum, and professional atmosphere of the Court and the justice system. This includes limitations to protect the safety and confidentiality of all in the courthouse.
In Juvenile proceedings, it is additionally important that dress reflect the goals of the Juvenile Court in promoting education, upholding the law, and respect for others. The determination of appropriateness shall lie with the sitting Judge.
More specifically, all participants, including attorneys, juveniles, parents, guardians, witnesses, litigants, spectators, observers, etc., will be fully attired, shirt tails will be tucked in, and shoes must be worn at all times. Trousers must be worn at the waistline with belts and women must wear undergarments.
The following items will not be permitted in the courtroom:
- Clothing depicting obscenity, profanity, sexually suggestive tones, drugs, gangs, and/or illegal activity, inappropriate or offensive logos, pictures, or writings (this includes alcohol for minors)
- Hair rollers, hats, coats, sunglasses, cell phones, bags, recorders, or any other electronic devices
- Clothing that shows undergarments or midriff (bras, boxers, etc.)
- Piercings, unless covered by clothing
- Swim wear, lingerie, pajamas, slippers, t-shirts, or muscle shirts, short pants, tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, mesh shirts, spaghetti strap, or strapless tops, miniskirts, or baggy pants that fall below the hips
- No earrings to be worn by males
- Women shall not have cleavage showing and shall by fully covered
- Flip flops, ripped or torn jeans (clothes with rips, tears, or holes)
- Weapons of any sort (unless possessed by law enforcement)
CONDUCT IN THE JUVENILE COURTHOUSE
Be respectful of the Judge, the court staff, attorneys, and litigants. Maintain a respectful attitude at all times in the court building and court room. Court proceedings must be electronically recorded. As such, disruptive behavior such as talking, laughing, shouting or creating other loud disturbances will not be tolerated. Please stand when addressing the Court and speak clearly and loudly.
- Minors under 18 must be accompanied by, and appear in court, with a parent or guardian.
- Food and drinks are not permitted while in the courtroom.
- Minors must not possess or smoke tobacco products.
In addition, only parties are allowed to attend juvenile court hearings (Delinquency, FINS, and DHS) unless subpoenaed by the Attorneys or approved by the Court.
The Court expects and appreciates the full cooperation of all with the terms of this Order. It is further ordered that attorneys will instruct their clients, witnesses, and others they bring into court as to this Order.
Violation of this Order will result in either a rescheduled hearing, contempt of court, or wearing court sponsored clothing at the Court’s discretion. The Court may also order the Bailiff to confiscate any prohibited items brought into court in violation of this Order.
IT IS SO ORDERED this 12th day of January 2009 and 1st day of March 2012 and Amended on this 1st day of July 2014.
EARNEST E. BROWN, JR.
Click here to download a pdf copy of this document